Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Victorian man tells of Vioxx trauma

Grandfather of seven Graeme Peterson says he was fit and healthy when Vioxx tore his life apart two years ago.
The 55-year-old Victorian man suffered a heart attack in December 2003 after taking Vioxx for almost four years to treat arthritis in his hips and neck.
Since then, Mr Peterson has had about four coronary episodes and says his life has changed dramatically for the worse.
"I've got seven grandkids that I used to love to play quite actively with - (now) I tone it down," he said.
"I used to go on long walks in the bush; I used to go out in the bush for a week at a time, I don't do that now.
"If I go away I'm very conscious of the fact I've got to take a lot of medication with me, I've got to make sure that where I go there's medical help available if necessary - that's changed my life dramatically."
Mr Peterson is leading a 400-strong class action against the manufacturers of Vioxx over his ailing health and the Australian distributor who he says "let it happen".
"If I'd known of the risks of taking Vioxx I would have given up Vioxx," he said.
"I took it for an arthritic condition, I would have lived with that arthritic condition given the choice - I wasn't given the choice."
Mr Peterson was formerly the global safety manager at BHP and a sea captain. He now works part time, suffering a significant loss of income.
He said he had a medical two weeks before his heart attack as part of an underwater escape training exercise and was given a clean bill of health.
Today, he takes medication daily and carries a nitrolingual spray to guard against a heart attack at the first sign of trouble.
Mr Peterson says the situation has taken an enormous toll on his family, and supporters and is determined to make Merck pay.
"Knowing somebody knew about this, knew what I and many others were facing, and let it happen, that's even more frustrating," he said.
Lawyers Slater and Gordon today filed a writ in the Supreme Court of Victoria seeking damages for at least 400 victims, including relatives of up to 50 people who died while using the drug.
They are seeking compensation against US drug manufacturer Merck & Co Inc Ltd and its Australian subsidiary Merck Sharp & Dohme Australia, who assembled, marketed and distributed the tablets.
The class action comes after Vioxx was withdrawn from sale under a global recall on September 30, 2004.
About 250,000 Australians used the drug before it was recalled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home